Tuesday 11 December 2012

Yellena James

Spore, Pen and Ink on Paper, 2009

I first came across Yellena James' work during an afternoon spent lounging around in my pyjamas, eating anything and everything I came across and typing random words into Pinterest to see what came up. Trust me, Pinterest is dangerous. MANY hours can be spent (wasted) on Pinterest. But I was completely content. Nothing could have touched me in this wonderful little bubble I'd created. 

I'd typed in 'illustration' into the search bar, and so many exciting images were popping up, from cat's wearing birthday hats, to cute little girls with pig-tales riding bikes, it was wonderful! And then I came across Yellena James. I was hooked immediately. Her illustrations are amazingly intricate, delicate and beautiful and I couldn't stop looking. They have a magical almost alien feel to them, as though she is depicting scenes from another world, and the names that she uses are very natural and 'organic' (I hate using that word, but I can't think of a better one right now!).

Synthesis, Acrylic on Wood, 2010

Trove, Pen and Ink on Paper, 2009

Yellena is originally from Sarajevo, though now lives and works in the US where she's had many exhibitions, and created pieces for brands such as Nike and Anthropolgie! 
She uses fine point pens, markers and acrylic paint (from what I can see) to create beautifully intricate pieces of art and the fluidity of the lines and many layers of pattern is mesmerising! They kind of look a little bit like coral don't you think?

Pods, Pen and Ink on Paper, 2009


For my birthday this year, I was given a print called 'Pods' by my lovely housemate who had picked up on a completely unintentional (yet extremely obvious) hint I'd left after gushing about how much I loved these prints! So it was a lovely surprise when I opened the package to find a print all of my own! Yellena had even put a lovely illustrated thank you note to my friend for buying the print, and it's little touches like this that add that je ne sais quoi!

VS, Acrylic on Wood, 2010


Watercrest, Pen and Ink on Paper, 2009

What do you think about Yellena James? She's great right?! Check out her website here and here to see more. It would make a great Christmas present!! 

Zahra x

No comments:

Post a Comment